Help shape our future success
This is an exciting and transformational time for Co Cars. The experiences of the past year have accelerated interest in how sustainable shared mobility can help us all move towards a zero carbon planet.
As a result, Co Cars (including our associated services: Co Bikes and Co Delivery) is experiencing a flood of opportunities that will see us continue to expand in Exeter whilst also developing our network across the South West and beyond.
We are very lucky to already have a fantastic Non-Exec Board to help guide us. However, given the rate of change and growth we’re undergoing, we are now on the lookout for two more people to join the team.
As we move into new territories, we would particularly value the inclusion of new voices and new perspectives. We would like to make sure we are accurately representing our diverse society, especially in terms of gender, ethnicity and younger people. We would also welcome applications from people with good local knowledge of Plymouth and the wider South West.
How to apply
Below, you’ll find a detailed description of the role. If you think it’s for you, click on the button to fill out a short form telling us why you’d like to help shape our future success.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 22 June. Potential applicants are encouraged to have a conversation with our current Vice Chair, Samantha Peters, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews are scheduled to take place on the 8 and 9 July at our offices in Exeter.
Board meetings currently take place on the fourth Friday of the month in the morning. It is hoped that successful candidates will be able to attend their first meeting on 23 July.
Please note, this is a voluntary role.
Co Cars Non-Executive Board Member: role profile
The collective responsibilities of the Board are:
- Strategy: Setting the strategic direction of the organisation and overseeing the delivery of its goals.
- Planning: Approving business plans and budgets to meet the organisation’s aims and objectives and scrutinising performance against them.
- Governance: Ensuring that the organisation complies with its society rules and other legal requirements or frameworks.
- Systems: Ensuring that the organisation has appropriate arrangements in place for managing risk, and compliance with its policies and procedures.
- Stakeholders: Ensuring that the organisation meets its commitments to funders, investors, members, and other stakeholders.
The individual responsibilities of Non-Executive Board members are to:
- Attend and contribute effectively to monthly Board meetings (currently on the third Friday).
- Attend the Annual General Meeting.
- Act as a critical friend to senior staff and provide support, especially in their area of expertise.
- Represent the organisation externally and build effective working relationships with relevant networks, agencies, and stakeholders.
- Foster a supportive learning culture throughout the organisation and promote open, constructive discussion at Board meetings.
- Demonstrable commitment to Co Cars’ aims and objectives and its pursuit of sustainable development, through shared economies and mobility schemes.
- Ability to contribute effectively at board level, think strategically and provide reasoned and constructive challenge.
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop positive and productive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to represent the needs and aspirations of our customers and the wider community we aim to serve.
Meeting any of the following criteria would also be advantageous but is not essential:
- Knowledge of relevant agencies, networks, providers or funders in Plymouth, Cornwall or the wider South West (outside of Exeter).
- Experience of running a service-based company or platforms, with sales insight.